Sunday, June 21, 2009

Skip Matthews Memorial 4mile run

6/21/09
Skip Matthews Memorial 4mile run
Hanover NH
Time: 44:46

My Dad and I wait for the race to start in the light misty rain. I’m running on my own this year. I know I can do 40 minutes but with out someone there to push me on it will be hard. I get a hug from Dad and head to start line. The rain has let up for the most part.

The single is giving and we start down the streets of Hanover and head onto to the rails to trails path. It’s a crowded race. I plug along trying to maintain a good pace. I weave around the slower runners for the first half mile. Now I am mostly getting passed and it’s a little frustrating. Then around one and half miles I noticed the runners have spread out and I’m slowly catching people. I cross over two wooden bridges and enjoy the view and sound of the rushing water.

I get to the two mile mark and turn onto the paved road. I keep pushing on and soon come to the wooden covered bridge were a band is playing Susa music. I try to use the beat of the music to move me a bit faster. Right after the bridge the big hill of race starts. I see people ahead of me. I want to catch them. I begin to jog up the hill, but my prey keeps ahead of me. I’m pleased that I just ran the hill. Now it’s time for some good downhill running. Again I try to pick up the pace on the down hill but I feel like I’m not getting anywhere. Eventfully I do catch a few runners before the course turns back on to the rail trail.

I can feel my energy waning. I know the end is near but I can’t see it yet and it’s bringing me down. After what feels like many mile I finally see the end of trail and roads leading back to the finish line. When I get on the road I feel some energy coming back. As I near the last corner I begin to kick it a bit. I start to catch an older gentleman ahead me. I kick it in more and pass him around the last corner and home stretch to the finish line. I almost hesitated passing him when I saw his hat. It was exactly like mine. A 2009 VA Beach ½ marathon hat!

As soon as I run across the finish line and go threw the finish shoot I turn around to look for him. But he is gone back out on the course to meet up with some one that was behind him. I go and find Dad. He gives me a hug for a job well done and we head over to post race BBQ to enjoy some food together on another great Fathers Day run.

No comments: