Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wild Rover Race #1

As Josh and I dress that morning we both don the Team Robert shirts for the first time together. I wear what I did last year: long sleeve Warm Gear Under Armor top, a short sleeve tech shirt over that and a ¼ zip light weight long sleeve tech shirt on top. The bottom consists of Under Armor warm gear tights and generic wind pants. For my feet Darn Tough socks and Brooks shoes. I also have my purple head band and Under Armor running gloves and hand held gel flask for water.

We make it to the race location in Haverhill, Mass. with plenty of time. We found a decent parking space right in front of the race start and finish. We pick up our Numbers form .P. McBride's Irish Pub and walk back to the car. We pin on our numbers and fiddle with the D chip disposable timing chips on our shoes. I munch on some cliff shot blocks black cherry and down some Excedrin to keep down any inflammation in my recovering leg. Both have a placebo effect on me more then anything but I need it. My nerves are getting to me. I’m worried how everything will go during the race. Josh laughs and reminds me I didn’t run 20 miles last night like he did. We decide to gather at the start with the growing mass of runners. We wanted to start with just our Team Robert shirts on but after a few minutes of standing in the dreary cold weather we decide we really do need a top layer. After putting on a top layer a few raindrops started to fall as we waited for the start.
We start at the sound of the gun and hang at the back of the mass of runners. I enjoy the slow gradual warm up as the mass of runners winds it way threw the city streets. I feel pretty good as we cross the bridge and hop up on the side walk to get around some runners. Josh smiles and says I’m doing awesome so far and to keep it up.

We get to the one hill of the course. It’s long one to me. In all my pre-race thoughts I had figured I would be walking the hill. But Josh has other ideas. ‘Coming on you can do it... You are doing great…. Quick small steps,… quick small steps…. That’s it, keep going….” All the way to the top of the hill. Once at the top Josh asks how I’m doing. I think I answer alright… at best. I can’t breathe any more. I feel nauseous. I haven’t done enough aerobic exercise in my training. Or training in general for the mater. My recovering leg has the smallest bit of discomfort and I don’t want to push any harder on it.

We start to head down the hills. Josh says to relax my body and use the hills. I do my best. My body is recovering form the uphill and is happy to be going down. Until my curse returns. The curse of getting side stitches when I’m running down hills. It doesn’t have a chance to get horrible this time around. But it is so annoying.
After getting off the hills I try my best to maintain a good steady pace. Josh is beside me encouraging me on, “you are doing great,… Chase more people down.”
As we are crossing the bridge in the last stretch we jump to side walk and manage to get around some more people.

The end is getting closer. I want to run harder and catch the people walking ahead. But I know it is still too soon for me to push it.
Josh is saying ‘pick off people one by one... chase’em down” I can tell he is eager to kick it to the end. But I know if I try now I will burn before the end.
Around the last corner and under the bridge we come at my fastest maintainable pace. I feel nauseous but I know the end is so close.
I finally start to kick it a little faster to get around the stupid car driving on the race side of the road in the final stretch. Then sprint a few steps around a person. The end is ahead I extend my strides as much as I can and start a faster pace for last few feet of the race. Threw the finish we run side by side. I’m thrilled, its way better time then what predicted and a race PR and my leg held up great! I couldn’t have done it with out Josh pulling me along.

We funnel down the finish shoot Josh is proud of me and gives me hug and a kiss. I’m in a daze. We get our medals. I just want open space. I want to be able to breath and nausea to go away. We find a less crowded space and I catch my breath and enjoy some chili and beef stew before we head for home.

2nd Frozen Shamrock 3 Mile Run
Time: 31:23:00 Gun Time
Last year 33:47

No comments: