Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wild Rover Race #2

Drinking the night before a race is never good. I wake up not feeling so well. I get up and get dress and wait for Josh to wake and get ready. As we get ready our friend Dustin makes us a great hang over breakfast. We quickly chow down and head out. There is dusting of snow on the ground and more falling as we drive to the race. We drive around a bit looking for a spot to park and Josh is a little frustrated with my inability to point out and decide on a spot to park. We finally park and hurry off to the Claddagh Pub to register. We skirt threw the crowds and grab our stuff and quickly head back to the car.

We get the last of our stuff together. It’s cold and still snowing as I fumble with my stuff to get ready. Josh is frustrated that I forgot my gloves and head band but lends me his since he had extra gloves and toque. We finally head off to start after much delay on my part. Josh mumble and banters about me not being trained… not prepared… imbecile… can’t figure out why I race.

We make our way to the back of the runners waiting to start. It’s still snowing and a little wind is blowing. I’m cold in general but my toes are the worst, always have been. I stretch and try to jump around it bit but doesn’t help much. Josh looks content, comfortable and smug just standing there waiting for the start. Most likely hot from the frustrations he feels toward me. Finally the gun sounds and the mass of runners begins to move forward slowly.

I jog along trying to get my body to warm up. My feet hurt and I’m in a mental low. Just trying to breathe in and breathe out and get moving. Josh is ahead a bit. He comes back a bit and calls back saying I’m going to slow only 15 maybe 14 minute miles. I’m frustrated it feels like I’m doing better then that and feel like I can’t go any faster. We pass the first mile marker in 11 minutes, I guess I wasn’t going that slow after all.

Josh is off ahead a bit just in sight. I plod along. I feel winded and cold for the most part and my feet are still cold and numb. We start heading up the hills and Josh hangs back for me. He asks how I’m doing. I say I’m doing ok. His reply is I’m not trying hard enough, I’m going to slow up the hills only 14 min miles. We get to the steep hill. It’s not very long but I can’t run it. I’m trying to power walk it the best I can. Josh is telling me faster longer strides… going to slow. We crest the top past the water station and over the last hump and start down the steep hill past the 2 mile mark. I’m still holding onto 11 minute miles despite Josh’s predictions.

I try my best to use the steep down hill to my advantage but I’m also nervous of slipping. We reach the more gradual down hills and I use them as best as I can. I’m finally feel better. I know I’m in the last long stretch. I can finally feel my feet again. I’m warm enough I can take off my gloves finally. Josh offers to take my gloves. He takes them and then moves ahead of me and calls me on to catch up. My knees are just starting to hurt a bit. I push on and we pass the 3 mile mark still holding 11 minute miles.

I move on as fast as I feel comfortable in the last mile. My knees are starting hurt more and my calf is starting to feel a little tight in my recovering leg. The front of me is feeling cold. Josh is trying to get me to pick up the pace running just ahead of me and calling me on. I have a mental block about pushing to hard to soon before the end since last stretch actually goes past the bar and finish and then around the block then to the finish. We are still catching people and passing but also being passed. I can deal with knee pain but the calf is getting me nervous but I push on. I just want to be done.

Finally we pass the front of the bar and I’m feeling better, the end is so close. Only three corners left and I know my legs can handle it. One corner down. We run around an ambulance parked in the road and make our way toward the second corner. Excitement and energy build up as we come around the second corner. My pace and stride increase as we near the third corner. No one else is able to catch us and I know some were trying. We round the third corner and I but in every thing I had left and cross the finish for a great time and another race PR! Again thanks to Josh dragging me along.

My knees are sore. We grab out medals and some water and skip the after race party to head back to the car. We get in the car and head for home my knees are already feeling better but I feel a little post race nausea….

Claddagh Pub Classic 4 Mile Run
Gun Time 44:11:00
Last year 47:59

No comments: